Tuesday, August 16, 2011

at the blue barn: Why am I even arguing with you?

Great article/post that I am sharing with you. This is a must read + exactly how I feel. Join the cause!!!!!!

Original

"Whether you realise this or not, on Mondays, after the weekend, I am a little overwhelmed. The desk is cluttered with so many papers. There are teenaged-sized shoes everywhere. Let's not even discuss the laundry. Sometimes, I just have to start the week off with a bang and hit the ground running. I just jump in the car and start the day. As long as I have my debit card, the New York Times and my mobile - I am good to go!!

So - you get in the car, the kids are loaded up with their lunches and bags and issues. And you start the car and the satellite receiver resets itself as you back out of the garage and you start the turn out of your driveway.

And Screeeeeeeeeecccccccccchhhhhhh! What is this sh*t!!!!

Anyone who has been in my car knows I listen to one channel and one channel only. I have pre-sets for other channels in case I need a weather update or find out why there is so much traffic on the 405. And when I swap cars with Mr. Blue Barn, he likes the news. But in my car, the receiver is fixed to only one station and that station is BBC Radio 1.

An exhausting telephone call to the Sirius XM Listener Care numbre lead me no where. Apparently the Customer Service Representatives at Listener Care were not given any information about the change. There didn't seem to be a point to argue with the poor girl - she was clueless. Well, it really isn't a change - it is a termination. Sirius XM made the decision to cancel their relationship with BBC Radio 1. And who ever made this decision, kept it to himself. A day of lengthy telephone calls and a pointed e-mail posted to the website provided still no answers. A little cruise through Facebook and Twitter and I soon realised I am not the only girl who listens to BBC Radio 1. In fact, there is a ton of us!!

So, one smart fan started a Facebook page. Soon there was a Twitter hashtag. In a matter of time, a few simple Google searches and less than 600 fans started posting, tweeting, e-mailing and calling. And YES, it is all done for the sake of one radio station, BBC Radio 1.

And yet, Sirius XM still has not posted a press release about the termination. The responses from the e-mails and telephone calls are scripted and ineffective. There are no answers, really. None at all. Of course, one would imagine that maybe BBC decided to take another venue. They are bigger and stronger than Sirius XM - maybe they want to monopolizes the market. Heck, you already get it free off your computer and it can be live-streamed through many iPhone apps. But alas, no. In fact, the BBC Worldwide issued a statement claiming that their agreement had come to an end and that they were in discussions to continue their relationship with Sirius XM.

And yet, Sirius XM still has not posted a press release about the termination.

Okay - say you are driving around with me. We are running an errand or picking up kids or you are carpooling with me to a meeting or event. And I have the radio on. We are talking, and then a funny bit comes on the radio - which I have left on - because truthfully, I am listening to the radio and just pretending to have a conversation with you - and the funny bit gets funnier. And you stop talking. And you listen. And you say, "What is this?" And you giggle. And then, you turn to me and I see it. In your eye. A glimmer. A twinkle. And it happens. You are hooked. You instantly become a fan of BBC Radio 1.

And next time I see you, all we talk about is our kids, the event we went to and of course, the comedy bits and people on BBC Radio 1.

I am not going to force this down your throats. Honestly, I love all music. In fact I really love classical music. But when I am in my car. Driving. Driving. Driving. Nothing passes the time more than a good chat amongst friends which is what happens when you tune into BBC Radio 1. You can be in the car, just by yourself and 20 minutes with BBC Radio 1 makes you feel like you just had a good chat with your friend. So be it that those "friends" happen to be DJs, interns and producers. But still, you get out of the car and you are giggling to yourself.

Maybe it is because I spent all those days driving back and forth from the hospital when Mr. Blue Barn was in his coma. Maybe it is all the driving I do back and forth over Kanan to fetch the kids. To be quite honest, I don't ask for much. Just a little sympathy and maybe a cuppa tea.

But I am going to ask you this, if you like like BBC Radio 1 - or any music at all for that matter, please join our fight. It's really that simple, just put your two cents on any or all of the groups listed below, with the first one being the mothership to help Save Radio 1 in North America. Go on, be a good sport and help"

Like or join this:

Get BBC Radio 1 Back on SiriusXM

No comments:

Post a Comment